Sunday, January 11, 2009

Altarwrap Supreme, no sour


When I first saw the headline "Couple Gets Marries at Taco Bell" I thought to myself, "Yet another gimmicky online human-interest piece to consummate USA Today's position as #1 most widely read newspaper in America (thanks to color-coded sections and giant pictures that make the paper look like a Monopoly game)." And then I thought, "That's the first time I've ever thought with a parenthetical aside, and now I hate myself." Of course I read the article (those enticing color codes!), and I must admit, the article was good. An Internet couple with the incidental SAME LAST NAME marry in a Taco Bell in NORMAL, ILLINOIS, with the WILL YOU MARRY ME? sauce packets nearby and an ONLINE-ORDAINED minister presiding. The total cost? About TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. USA Today had enough nerve to print that the bride's hot pink dress cost FIFTEEN DOLLARS.
  • "I would never have expected in my life in working here there would be a wedding," restaurant manager Carl Hamlow said.

  • "We have the same brain, just in two bodies," Paul Brooks said. "We think alike in virtually every manner. We have the same interests, viewpoints."

  • "This is the way to go — there's no stress," said the groom's mother, Kathy Brooks.


No comments: